Anorexia Nervosa is a persistent refusal to eat accompanied by an irrational fear of being over weight. When I was in highschool I suffered from a mild case of anorexia, but what high school girl didn't. I was constantly worried about my weight and comparing myself to others and my mother. I used to eat only 16 wheat thins a day and than go to the gym after school and work out. Looking back on this is so stupid, especially considering I have a relative who passed away from Anorexia Nervosa at age 29. I was really young, but still remember spending holidays with her and was always so curious to why she was so thin and frail. It's not a pretty disease by any means at all. It does so much damage to your body. She wasn't able to eat anything and was hooked up to feeding tubes. She was physically sick and dying from this disease and their was nothing she could do about it because she had the mental image of herself being fat. I have had friends struggle with this and no longer do, because they have gained the realization that they are beautiful and don't need to be stick thin. The Mental Health Association of Indian River County, which is where I am from made a documentary on her and another women who luckily fought her battle. The documentary was called "Dying to Fit In" and was about eating disorders. I unfortunately never got to see this documentary when it aired but it was something that I really wanted to see. I searched all over the internet for it when I was in high school, so I could watch it, and I searched once again while I was writing this blog to try to post a clip in the blog and raise awareness. All I have is a an article from one of our local papers.
R.I.P Becky Streetman
TC Palm:
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/sep/01/eating-disorders-documentary-produced-indian-river/
No comments:
Post a Comment